Thursday, September 6, 2012

The Name of the Star

The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson

For a while, my love of reading had dwindled as I had trundled through book after book craving something that could hold my attention span.

When I picked up The Name of the Star, I got tunnel vision.

I've read books by Maureen Johnson before such as The Key to the Golden Firebird, 13 Little Blue Envelopes, Devilish, Suite Scarlett, and Girl at Sea. I'm familiar with her works.

Just a brief summary that does not give away any sort of ending so we can get on with the show. The book centers around Aurora 'Rory' Deveaux who is from Louisiana, and due to her two parents doing a sabbatical teaching in Bristol, Rory moves to London to do her senior year of high school. Eerily enough though, as Rory starts her senior year at the boarding school Wexford, someone in London appears to be recreating the murders of Jack the Ripper.

Rory's attitude really shaped the book for me as she handled situations in the fantastic "Not-going-to-freak-out-but-I-should-totally-consider-freaking-out" manner. I enjoyed seeing her realize what really sharing a room with someone else meant, what really sharing a bathroom with thirty other girls would mean, and the rush of schoolwork. Also, hockey was never a fun sport for me, and to see Rory go through it was exciting. I also enjoyed the confidence of her character, the relationship she developed with her roommate Jazza, and the curious way she handled Jerome (her love interest).

I enjoyed the humor that was sprinkled throughout the book, the interesting characters that seemed to chime in, and overall I really couldn't put the book down until the last page. This story was great for young adults who are curious about what a college experience could entail, and also for those who want to dip their fingertips into the supernatural.

No comments:

Post a Comment