Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Dr. Pulled Pork

The Doctor is delicious.
Dr. Pulled Pork

A friend of mine gave me this recipe and I tweaked it a little bit. I present to you, Dr. Pulled Pork; dangerously delicious medicine for the taste buds.**

**It's not medicine, please never treat it as such.

Alright, sometimes my efforts at humor just get in the way of being taken seriously.


The ingredients:

  • 2 to 3 pounds of pork shoulder (or butt)
  • 24 ounces of Dr. Pepper
  • 2 teaspoons of Garlic Powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons of Ground Mustard
  • 1 teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt
  • 1 teaspoon of black pepper
  • 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tablespoon of Hoisin Sauce
  • A bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce (I personally used Sweet Baby Ray's regular BBQ sauce, I know that the honey & hickory varieties have been tried and liked as well)

Directions:

  1. Use a big crock pot. I mean big enough to fit your giant chunks of pork into it with all of the ingredients (sans BBQ sauce).
  2. Mix garlic powder, ground mustard, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, vinegar, worcestershire sauce, and hoisin sauce together in the crock pot.
  3. Cut pork shoulder (or butt) into four pieces and put into the crock pot.
  4. Pour the Dr. Pepper over top, and stir slightly. It's going to be slightly weird because of the giant pork pieces, but you can do it. I believe in you!
  5. Cook on high for 4-5 hours, or low for 8 hours of more. I personally cooked mine on low all day because it's an older crock pot and so I could 'set it and forget it' for the day. Makes for a delicious dinner.
  6. Carefully remove pork. Shred it with 2 forks (or whatever suits you best) on a cutting board. Return the pork to the original mixture in the crock pot. Stir. No seriously, STIR IT.
  7. Cook for another hour in the crock pot on low.
  8. Drain the juices.
  9. Toss the pork in your choice of BBQ sauce. I used about half the bottle on mine, but I like mine with a little less sauce so I didn't put an amount for sauce. Like it saucey? Add more sauce. Don't like the sauce as much? Don't put as much sauce in! Simple. ...still confused? Only add a little bit of sauce to the pork at a time until it's a consistency that YOU like.
  10. Recommended to be served on hamburger buns. Also makes great nachos.

Questions? Leave a comment!

Want a better picture? TOO BAD. :D

...

Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment