Thursday, December 5, 2013

Keeper of the Lost Cities

Keeper of the Lost Cities by Shannon Messenger

First disclaimer: I definitely sat down with this book with the intention of being able to put it down whenever. In  about four hours I had made it through the entire book (roughly 500 pages) and I'm a little flabbergasted but entirely sure that I want more.

Second disclaimer: This book tends to run a little younger than what I normally read. The heroine (Sophie Foster) is twelve in this book so there are elements of having frequent emotional turmoil and sometimes a weak grasp of the more serious statements issued by the adults in the world.

With that, a amazon summary, "In this riveting debut, a telepathic girl must figure out why she is the key to her brand-new world—before the wrong person finds the answer first.

Twelve-year-old Sophie has never quite fit into her life. She’s skipped multiple grades and doesn’t really connect with the older kids at school, but she’s not comfortable with her family, either. The reason? Sophie’s a Telepath, someone who can read minds. No one knows her secret—at least, that’s what she thinks…
But the day Sophie meets Fitz, a mysterious (and adorable) boy, she learns she’s not alone. He’s a Telepath too, and it turns out the reason she has never felt at home is that, well…she isn’t. Fitz opens Sophie’s eyes to a shocking truth, and she is forced to leave behind her family for a new life in a place that is vastly different from what she has ever known.


But Sophie still has secrets, and they’re buried deep in her memory for good reason: The answers are dangerous and in high-demand. What is her true identity, and why was she hidden among humans? The truth could mean life or death—and time is running out." AMAZON LINK OF JUSTICE


I'm going to give the highlights of Sophie's back story. She's incredibly smart due to her photographic memory and has been deemed a child prodigy as she's already a senior in high school at age twelve. She has a normal family, a cat, and can hear thoughts. ...you know, the normal stuff. Heh. So one day as she's on a field trip to the museum, a boy with very electric blue eyes and she can't hear his thoughts.

...WHATTTT. No really, it's cool. It turns out that this boy is also a telepath and is searching for her. They have a moment where he opens the world to her (think Aladdin style with less songs(tragic)) and it turns out that she's an elf. Elves are real, goblins are real, and a whole litany of other mythical creatures are real. They're inhabiting spaces that have been sealed off from the humans. It turns out that a lot of elves also have an extra ability of some sort (seemingly, there are slight implications that it's about fifty-fifty for the population of extra abilities and not). They also despise humans for going back on the species contract that was signed forever ago that the humans broke. So there's that. (More on that in the book but not a whole lot more at this point; probably more on that later in the series.)

Sophie gets to this other place by traveling on light (just ignore everything you know about physics and you'll be fine) with Fitz and her human existence begins to unravel as she accepts that she's an elf.

Sophie begins to have a crazy adventure as her life gets all out of whack.

...but really that was only the action generator for me. I was fascinated by the world of the story.

I have about thirty thousand questions about the Lost Cities (which I imagine will be answered in later books), I want to see more elfish culture, I want to see more weird powers that the elves have. I want to know what are all the possibilities of gifts that elves can have. I WANT TO KNOW, CAN YOU SHOW ME YOUR WORLD? ...no really, if you could do that, that would be GREAT.

The only struggles I really had with this book was the age (just younger than what I'm used to reading), tedious friendships, and a lot of butt hurt guys (that was actually pretty funny). I'm a little at odds with a weird potential love square that seems to be shaping up but I will not be enthused about awkward adventures in love that I have not even read yet.

I was really pleased with how FAST it was to read and how it didn't require a ridiculous amount of mental work to get through (I'n looking at the books I rage sleep on...and others). The writing could have used a little better development in some scenes, yet I found the overall effect good.

It was a nice book.

I believe it has a sequel out already....I'm going to have to pick that up. ...hmm....

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment