Sunday, November 18, 2018

Suitors and Sabotage

Suitors and Sabotage by Cindy Anstey

I'm going to get oddly specific for a moment, but did you ever watch the roughly six hour mini series version of Pride & Prejudice? I cheated and looked it up on imdb; it came out in 1995, and it's basically the show where I fell in love with Colin Firth. Because, Colin Firth. C'mon people!

Anyways, this book reminds me a lot of that, just with less siblings and suitors. Kind of.

An amazon summary, "Two young people must hide their true feelings for each other while figuring out who means them harm in this cheeky Regency romance from the author of Love, Lies and Spies and Duels & Deception.
Shy aspiring artist Imogene Chively has just had a successful Season in London, complete with a suitor of her father's approval. Imogene is ambivalent about the young gentleman until he comes to visit her at the Chively estate with his younger brother in tow. When her interest is piqued, however, it is for the wrong brother.
Charming Ben Steeple has a secret: despite being an architectural apprentice, he has no drawing aptitude. When Imogene offers to teach him, Ben is soon smitten by the young lady he considers his brother's intended.
But hiding their true feelings becomes the least of their problems when, after a series of "accidents," it becomes apparent that someone means Ben harm. And as their affection for each other grows―despite their efforts to remain just friends―so does the danger. . .
In Suitors and Sabotage, author Cindy Anstey delivers another witty young adult historical fiction novel that is the perfect mix of sweetly romantic and action-packed." AMAZON LINK OF JUSTICE
This definitely takes place back in the days of seasons in London, so somewhat ambiguously around the 18th century I would say. They actually have dates in the book, but I rigorously ignored them because I'm awful. ...well really, because I hate reading anything that resembles a diary format because I will never believe that anyone can remember pages and pages of dialogue. I just cannot. I digress, it's mostly irrelevant.
Imogene has just returned from her season in London and has managed to snag a gentleman suitor, Ernest. Ernest has requested to visit the Chively estate with his younger brother Ben, to see if himself and Imogene would be a match for marriage. Imogene's best friend, Emily, has also come to stay. There are other family friends about and siblings and what not, but lets concentrate on the main characters.
Imogene is very shy but Ben manages to start bringing her out of her shell. Ernest is well, rather straight forward but also desperately trying to win over Imogene's heart. Meanwhile, Emily has fallen rather entranced with Ben and is very convinced of his affections, but Imogene wonders if Ben's affections are actually for herself, or rather if she actually loves Ben and not Ernest.
During all of this, a series of slightly unfortunate events begins to occur, and Imogene and Emily blame it on Imogene's brother and the family friend, but the incidents are not always in line with their usually modus operandi (MO).
That's enough summary.
This book was very, well dramatic but undramatic. There wasn't a lot of action despite the various incidents, but there was a lot of waffling hearts and wondering about the world at large. It was actually a very serious and sympathetic book with points of light hearted humor but also kind of slice of life moments. I also thought it was very interesting that we learned about all the young adults parents in the manner of reading how they were treated, besides the few times that Imogene pointed out her father was not really all that great.
The setting and scenery were all very well included, and the tone of the writing definitely placed you in the 18th century somewhere (I know they literally told us, but again, I must stubbornly ignore or else I would not have read the book). 
There were a few points where I definitely rolled my eyes and wondered why I was still reading the book, but when I finished the book, I definitely had that like deeply satisfied Cheshire cat grin on my face since I knew I had read a great story.
There was no sex, no fist fights, no anything over the top action dramatics, but it was still a good story, very wholesome. Which is probably why it reminded me so much of that Pride and Prejudice mini series. It was good.
Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment