Sunday, June 30, 2019

Tunnel of Bones

Tunnel of Bones by Victoria Schwab

This book will be published on September 3, 2019, but I read an uncorrected proof (advanced reader's copy). Undoubtedly, there will be some changes between the version I read and the published version.

This is the sequel to City of Ghosts, which I reviewed HERE. If you don't want anything spoiled for City of Ghosts, I'd recommend not reading this book review.

Who's up for another spooky ghost story that's very much like the first one but even MORE is revealed about the odd ghost world and Cass's abilities? HMMMMM??? I know in my last review, I said I probably wouldn't read the sequel, but I did anyways. So here we are. ... :D

An amazon summary, "Trouble is haunting Cassidy Blake . . . even more than usual.

She (plus her ghost best friend, Jacob, of course) are in Paris, where Cass's parents are filming their TV show about the world's most haunted cities. Sure, it's fun eating croissants and seeing the Eiffel Tower, but there's true ghostly danger lurking beneathParis, in the creepy underground Catacombs.
When Cass accidentally awakens a frighteningly strong spirit, she must rely on her still-growing skills as a ghosthunter -- and turn to friends both old and new to help her unravel a mystery. But time is running out, and the spirit is only growing stronger.
And if Cass fails, the force she's unleashed could haunt the city forever." AMAZON LINK OF JUSTICE


After Cass nearly dies, and her parents are NOT aware of her extra abilities, Cass leaves Ireland for London. She's picked up a few tricks from Lara (who first told her about being an inbetweener) and she's more prepared to tackle the ghosts of London. Jacob is pretty reluctant. Although, something seems to be going on with Jacob. In the last book, he was able to slowly try to start manipulating the real world. Lara warned Cass about Jacob becoming stronger and how ghosts do not belong in their world, but Cass refuses to believe that Jacob could become a danger to anyone.

Cass is exploring the haunted parts of London with her parents, armed with her mirror to send any ghosts on that she comes across. Except, she comes across a young boy ghost with red eyes. She tries to remind him of who he is, but he looks up at her with confusion and she leaves the veil confused. After a few texts with Lara, it turns out she's woken a poltergeist, who will wreak mischief, menace, and mayhem. Something more dangerous than the Raven in the last book as the poltergeist already has one foot in their world.

Cass has to save London from this poltergeist before people get seriously hurt.

That's enough summary.

This book was pretty fun. I liked it better than the first book since it felt like Cass had more confidence in herself and what she was supposed to do. I also liked how Cass had to do more detective work, and struggled even with the guidance of Lara.

I also thought what was going on with Jacob was interesting, but I 'm curious to see where it goes from there. I know there's going to be a third book, but I'm also curious if this series has a planned end. Right now, it seems a bit formulaic, and could kind of go one forever (or for too long really).

I wish Lara had been more in the story, and I wish there had been a bit more of the parents too. We got enough of them in the first book, but I think we could have used more in the second book. I also found their family moments, more, authentic in feeling. They were cute!

...so really, if this book had a couple more paragraphs in a few spots, I think it would have felt a bit more fully formed and realized. It was still better than the first book though.

So yeah, I'll read the third book most likely, but unless there seems like they're working towards a more over arching point, I might have to call it quits after that.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment