Saturday, August 31, 2019

Archenemies

Archenemies by Marissa Meyer

This is the sequel to RENEGADES. If you don't want the first or second book (of the trilogy) spoiled, then I would recommend not reading this review.

Because it's about to get REAL. REAL wild with speculation from me because book three is coming out this year and I just found this trilogy and now I have needs. What. Don't act like you didn't see this coming.

An amazon summary, "Time is running out.
Together, they can save the world.
But they each other’s worst nightmare.Nova’s double life is about to get a lot more complicated:

As Insomnia, she is a full-fledged member of the Renegades, a syndicate of powerful and beloved superheroes. She works with Adrian’s patrol unit to protect the weak and maintain order in Gatlon City.
As Nightmare, she is an Anarchist - a group of of villains who are determined to destroy the Renegades. Nova wants vengeance against the so-called heroes who once failed her when she needed them most.
But as Nova, her feelings for Adrian are deepening, despite the fact that he is the son of her sworn enemies and, unbeknownst to Nova, he has some dangerous secrets of his own.
In this second installment of the Renegades trilogy, Nova, Adrian, and the rest of their crew – Ruby, Oscar, and Danna -- are faced with escalating crime in Gatlon City, while covert weapons and conflicting missions have Nova and Adrian questioning not only their beliefs about justice, but also the feelings they have for each other.
The line between good and evil has been blurred, but what's clear to them both is that too much power could mean the end of their city – and the world – as they know it." AMAZON LINK OF JUSTICE AND WEIRD SPACING

Can we take a moment to make fun of the phrasing, "But they each other's worth nightmare." ...maybe it should have been, "But they're each other's worst nightmare." Too real? Anywho.

At the end of Renegades, it turns out that Ace is still alive, which, I may have just screamed at the book a little with indignation before I realized I already had the sequel ready to read... then I just promptly read it. ALSO, MIGHT BE A SPOILER, but I'm pretty damn sure that we're supposed to believe that Phobia killed Adrian's Mom. The reader in me is like, CLEARLY, THIS MUST BE THE ANSWER. The writer in me is like, "Noooo, he's just being set up. It was probably someone else all along. but WHO." 

Anyways.

So, Nova is still part of the Anarchists and the Renegades. She's slowly becoming torn between her attraction to Adrian (Sketch) and the true meaning of being an Anarchist. She starts to question some aspects of each side, which kind of really lead me to believe that she'll eventually just pave her own path and ditch both factions in the third book.

Adrian is still fighting crime as Sketch when he's with the Renegades, but also as The Sentinel. The more he's the Sentinel, the more he sees some of the errors within the Renegades way. Especially when he comes across a team of Renegades who torture a villain before outright killing her. This leads to a deadly chase where the Sentinel ultimately appears to have drowned/died, but in reality, Adrian was able to make a quick change back into Sketch.

Adrian and Nova's relationship seems to become more meaningful and deeper, but neither of them have trusted each other with their secrets. Plus, Nova has started to help in the artifacts department in the hopes of rescuing Ace's helmet. Adrian discovers a talisman that can protect people from the Bandit so he can actually touch Max.

That's enough summary and sorry if there were spoilers. I got problems yo.

I'm pretty much rabidly curious as to where this story goes, but I'm totally disinterested in the romance aspect of these books. It feels like an obligatory addition/calculated on some parts rather than anything remotely natural about it.

I also want to know more about the anarchists. It seems like the last bracelet Nova's Dad was putting together was going to do something monumental, especially with the way the bracelet reacted to the different artifacts, but I have no idea what it does or will do in the end. I'm wildly curious about that.

I'm also kind of annoyed with Adrian since he doesn't seem as emotionally relate-able as he did in the last book. It seems like he's doing kind of dumb things to get in Nova's good graces, only trying to skate by his Dad's attentions, and he's being kind of willfully neglecting the rules of his world. But, to be fair, we did see a bit of this in the last book. I guess I just don't see the rebellious attitude/anger anywhere. It seems too cool, calm, and collected rather than crazy hormone driven teen antics. It's fine if his motivations are different than the average teenager, but I wish he would do something to shed his public image a little bit. A little bit less Mr. Nice Guy and Everyone Loves Him and a little more of the Sentinel without the suit (if that makes sense).

Still, I'm eager to read book 3, I want to know more about Ace, and I want to know how this is all going to resolve in one final book. My biggest suspicion is that somehow Nova will weaponize agent N and turn everyone with powers into normal people... but I don't know if she has enough resources to pull something like that off. We'll see.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment