Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Red Hood

Red Hood by Elana K. Arnold

This book is an advanced reader's copy and will be published February 25, 2020. Undoubtedly there will be changes between the version I attempted to read, and the published edition.

Full disclosure, I got to about page 78 and got a strong case of the willies and had to stop reading.

An amazon summary, "You are alone in the woods, seen only by the unblinking yellow moon. Your hands are empty. You are nearly naked. And the wolf is angry.
Since her grandmother became her caretaker when she was four years old, Bisou Martel has lived a quiet life in a little house in Seattle. She’s kept mostly to herself. She’s been good.
But then comes the night of homecoming, when she finds herself running for her life over roots and between trees, a fury of claws and teeth behind her.
A wolf attacks. Bisou fights back. A new moon rises. And with it, questions.
About the blood in Bisou’s past, and on her hands as she stumbles home.
About broken boys and vicious wolves.
About girls lost in the woods—frightened, but not alone." AMAZON LINK OF JUSTICE

First of all, this story is told in second person. This is something that also kind of wrankles at me since it demands my entire attention to assert it is essentially happening to me. It is happening to the reader in me and that just like ....no. You can't tell me what to feel! Things.

Secondly, the book kind of opens up with an open conversation about menstruation and sex, kind of. Like, not shying away from the topics when they emerge.

Thirdly, but there's also violence and murder right away too.

Soooo, all those factors really kind of put me off from the book even though at large, it seemed right up my alley. I just couldn't stomach reading it. There's a note from the author in the front of the book that acknowledges they're books aren't comfortable and take you to deep dark places but she will bring you back out. I couldn't stomach it. Maybe at a less spooky time of the year, or in the summer, I could pick up this book and try again. It seems very promising.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment