Saturday, October 19, 2019

The Chaos of Stars

The Chaos of Stars by Kiersten White

I've previously reviewed IN THE SHADOWS by Kiersten White, but I've also read And I DarkenNow I Rise, and Bright We Burn (Which was a fabulous trilogy that I highly recommend regardless of my lack of blog posts about them).

I was pretty excited to stumble across this paperback book in a random book store.

...but I haven't blogged in a bit, and it's because I'm quite at odds with what to actually say about this book. It's all rather vexing.

....an amazon summary, "Isadora’s family is seriously screwed up—which comes with the territory when you’re the human daughter of the Egyptian gods Isis and Osiris.
Isadora is tired of her immortal relatives and their ancient mythological drama, so when she gets the chance to move to California with her brother, she jumps on it. But her new life comes with plenty of its own dramatic—and dangerous—complications . . ." AMAZON LINK OF JUSTICE
So, long story short, Isadora is the daughter of the Egyptian gods, Isis and Osiris. For those of you (like me) who are unfamiliar with Egyptian mythology, prepare to learn random tidbits about Egyptian mythology with snark from Isadora peppered throughout the history lessons. Isadora gets pretty teenage cranky at her mom, and decides that she's going to go live with her brother over in the united states to escape from all the immortals in her life and try to live as a regular mortal. She knows she has no chance of becoming immortal, so she wants to start living as a mortal as soon as possible. But, something from Egypt seems to have followed her to the united states, and for what?
That's enough summary.
Alright, I love any time an author takes a mythology and tries to bring it into the modern day. Sometimes the attempts are quite successful (ahem, looking at you Rick Riordan), and other times not so much.
On the one hand, I really appreciate what this book attempted, on the other hand, I feel like it fell flat on its face quite a few times. It's like it couldn't decide if it wanted to be about mythology, romance, finding yourself, following your passion, or mocking the mortal realm. It kind of seemed to hopscotch around quite a bit while managing to tie it all into Isadora's story.
But, there's this one reveal about a certain character that I still can't wrap my head around as actually making sense. It kind of defies the mechanics of how the world is set up to work (it seems) and it seems like such a big thing to reveal in the swirling midst of the already climatic part of the plot. Looking at you mr. romantic interest and your convenient explanation for all things odd about you. MMM-HMMMM.
Anyways.
I think there was a lot of content to this book that could have easily expanded into another fifty pages at least. A little more substance, a little less chaos, ehhhhhhhhhh?
But I'm still mad at Isadora for mostly being a brat. She kind of throws these adult-ish tantrums a few times that I was so over before I finished even reading the paragraph.
All the grumpy noises.
All the grumpy noises of how they decided the mechanics of the immortals works. Didn't really seem to have all the dots connected. Don't go messing with the mythology unless you know what you're doing on some level, eh?
Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment