Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Best Books of 2013

Today is the last day of 2013 as I know it.

It is time to compile my favorite books of the year, I will restrict myself to ten. The list isn't going to be in any particular order, and the books are simply going to be the ones that I read this year; not the ones that were released this year. I'll only be numbering them to make sure I hit ten and no more. This year is a little refreshing as I will only pick books that I've blogged about.

ONWARD!

1. Dear Life, You Suck by Scott Blagden

My book review is HERE.

Why did this book make the list? The premise of the story made it something a little more unique than what I usually come across. However, the humor was what sold me. I'm pretty sure there were quite a few times where I started laughing at the book and unnerved those around me. Worth it.

What stuck with me about this book was the average vigilante theme; Cricket didn't fight unless provoked, and he fought to protect the little ones. It seemed to resonate a stronger theme of family; of fighting to protect those you love.


2. Doll Bones by Holly Black

My book review is HERE.

Why did this book make the list? There's something haunting about this book that for me, of the Queen who wanted to return home. To me, it's a perfect example of trying to figure out when children start to become something older and more mature and what does that mean? Does it mean stop playing with dolls or does it mean understanding your passions and pursuing them?

What stuck with me about this book was definitely the image of the Queen's head appearing to Zach in a mirror while he was looking at his reflection. I like the flair of supernatural present in this book where the rest of it was very grounded in reality.

3. The Lord of Opium by Nancy Farmer

My book review is HERE.

Why did this book make the list? I loved House of Scorpion (the first book in this potential series...I'm hoping it's going to be a series, please, give me more books!) and was utterly delighted to know that there was a sequel AND the sequel was so good. I love the dystopia world of this book, the characters, the menacing presence of El Patron that lingers, and Matt trying to struggle through all of it. It was just beautiful.

What stuck with me about this book was the future of the environment. How one, kind of crazy man managed to unwittingly save the environment and what it took to save it.


4. Paperboy by Vince Vawter

My book review is HERE.

Why did this book make the list? The writing portrays the voice of this book so well that I remember while I was reading it, sometimes I would read a page or two again just to enjoy the sound of it. I truly enjoyed the heart of each character that was shown, the different layers of stories that were simultaneously told, and the curious innocence of a young boy who already has a daily hardship.

What stuck with me about this book was how the writing portrayed the stutter. I have yet to encounter another book that has portrayed stuttering so well and how it effects the way the narrator deals with their environment. I have yet to find another book to be so consistent with the process, execution, and anxiety of a stutter.

5. Ettiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger

My book review is HERE.

Why did this book make the list? Because it's absolutely delightful. It had a great sense of humor, actually got me to figure out what a petticoat is (I have a on-going stand off with understanding peculiar clothing), and was just so fun to read. The mystery elements of it weren't annoying and I didn't come across any characters who seemed too dumb to live (which seems too common in 'action' books). I enjoyed the espionage elements just as much as I enjoyed the etiquette elements and I found Sophronia to be quite charming.

What stuck with me about this book was the fearless spirit of adventure and 'can-do' attitude of Sophronia. She didn't seem to know what she was about to do half the time, but she committed to to doing it anyways.

6. The Brides of Rollrock Island by Margo Lanagan

My book review is HERE.

Why did this book make the list? It haunts me. There is so much imagery, so much of the tone of this book that when I gaze into a stormy sky I wind up thinking about this book for a while. It is beautiful, enchanting, and it reminds me of the old fairy tales. I absolutely adore this odd book. It was aggressively chilling, but now I cannot forget it. I loved the way the narration switched to show different sides of the same story and how it affected the entire island and even those on the mainland.

What stuck with me about this book was the intense imagery of the seals themselves and the women who emerged that only longed to be returned to the sea; to be a seal again.

7. Croak by Gina Damico

My book review is HERE.

Why did this book make the list? This book was absolutely hilarious while dealing with the very serious topic of death and the world after. I was delighted by the suspense, character development, and world creation surrounding the Grimms and Lex. This is a series that I'm watching.

What stuck with me about this book was the different scythes that the characters wielded and their attitudes about their job. I loved the small town feel of Croak and the residents who had 'seen it all' and were just charming.



8. The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen

My book review is HERE.

Why did this book make the list? The False Prince is driven by a page turning narrator (Sage) that has a spark of humor with the quality of making sure people are treated as they should be treated. I absolutely adored the trials the boys had to face to be passed off as a false prince, and the tests to find out who had the mettle to potentially one day be king.

What stuck with me about this book was the character of Sage and how he went through the extra efforts of ensuring that even the servants were treated with respect. It was the small actions that really built to a larger picture.


9. A Tangle of Knots by Lisa Graff

My book review is HERE.

Why did this book make the list? I enjoyed the changing chapters between different narrators but the story was never lost. I love how it's a puzzle, a mystery, and yet a story of love and kinship. I think one of more interesting aspects of this book was that a lot of people in the story had a talent even if it was a bit more obscure (like being able to spit really far). I liked the different talents shown and it left me wanting to know more about that world.

What stuck with me about this book was the urge to make baked goods for folks. ...seriously, it sounds weird but I find myself wondering what cake or baked good a person would like.


10. Finnikin of the Rock 

My book review is HERE.

Why did this book make the list? This book was the beginning of a wonderful trilogy, and for that alone it made the list. The writing was very captivating as it did such a wonderful job of not only portraying the main characters, but also the people of the world (sometimes defining them by the flavor of their nations). It was very interesting to see the curse of Lumatare grip the land as well as how it affected those who were not from Lumatare. There was also the haunting of a war that wasn't truly fought but had a victor. The ravages of the lost kingdom were very well portrayed in the people who had to flee across the land in search of safety and refuge; the story was tinged with sadness but also encouraged hope.

What stuck with me about this book was how many times a red herring seemed to be thrown in but it would turn out to be relevant later in the book or in the later books.


That is it for 2013. I hope the next year brings a bunch of fun books.

Happy reading!

(1/4/2014) EDIT: I have to give Just One Day by Gayle Foreman an honorable mention. Because I LOVED IT and am about to receive the sequel Just One Year any day in the mail now. ANY DAY. o_o

My book review is HERE.

I just love it. See the review for further explanation. Yessssss.

Okay, happy reading again!

No comments:

Post a Comment