Sunday, September 21, 2014

Crabby Onigiri

...I got a little excited.
Crabby Onigiri

Onigiri (aka rice balls) are something I've always been curious to know how to make.

Luckily for me, I have a friend with similar curiosity. We cobbled some together one evening, and now I can't stop (won't stop) making them.

They're insanely delicious.


For those of you that don't know, it's pretty easy to make Onigiri. The most challenging part (for me) is to decide what kind of filling you want to put inside. I'll detail the recipe with the filling I made.

Ingredients:

  • (1) Cup of Sushi Rice
  • (1) Packet of seaweed (whichever flavor you prefer)
  • (8) Ounces of imitation crab meat (for the filling)
  • (4) Ounces of cream cheese (for the filling)
  • (1) Teaspoon of garlic powder (for the filling)
Directions:
  1. Cook sushi rice per package directions. Let the rice cool, you're going to be handling it a lot, so it's better to have it cold.
  2. Cut seaweed into in 2" x 1" rectangles; you'll want about 8 of them.
  3. Find a way to keep your hands wet. The rice will stick to your hands if they're dry. I prefer to keep a large bowl nearby that I can just dunk my hands into. I can't stress how important it is to keep your hands wet so the rice doesn't stick to them.
  4. Mince the crab meat.
  5. Combine crab meat, cream cheese, and garlic powder in a bowl. Stir well.
  6. There are different methods that people have done to make the ball aspect of the rice ball. I take a scoop of rice in my hands (wet hands) and form a little cup. Then I add a scoop of filling, before putting more rice on top. I kind of push it around until it's a ball and then apply the seaweed.
  7. Repeat step 6 until you've used all your rice/filling. It should make about (8) rice balls.

That's it! My photo above is when I made a double batch as I was having some folks over. It's a pretty quick, filling, and tasty dish.

Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment