Saturday, April 26, 2014

Hero

Hero by Alethea Kontis

Disclaimer: On the copy I read it's stated that this book is a companion book to Enchanted;I was not under the impression that it was a sequel to Enchanted, but I didn't read Enchanted and as a companion I thought I would be fine. Turns out I really should have read the first book.

An amazon summary, "Rough-and-tumble Saturday Woodcutter thinks she's the only one of her sisters without any magic—until the day she accidentally conjures an ocean in the backyard. With her sword in tow, Saturday sets sail on a pirate ship, only to find herself kidnapped and whisked off to the top of the world. Is Saturday powerful enough to kill the mountain witch who holds her captive and save the world from sure destruction? And, as she wonders grumpily, "Did romance have to be part of the adventure?" As in Enchanted, readers will revel in the fragments of fairy tales that embellish this action-packed story of adventure and, yes, romance." AMAZON LINK OF JUSTICE

First, the amazon summary gave away up until where I left off in the book (halfway). I think they really need to reign it in a bit better.

Second, I maintain that as a companion book, I should have been able to read this without too much trouble deciphering what was happening, who was important, and the whys of most of it. However, much throughout the story it seemed to be about all of Saturday's sisters rather than herself. But the book is supposed to be about Saturday, I think, so I'm not entirely sure if I was supposed to care about Saturday. All of her magical sisters (the other six days of the week) seemed to have much more interesting lives, yet that could have been satirical.

Clear as mud.

I think it was a combination of the writing style, the lack of focus on one character, and the sketchy world building that gave me a giant question mark about the book that I didn't really care to clarify. There was just something about it that rankled me to a point where I couldn't push through it.

I will say that I know a few folks who have muddled through the mess and where pleasantly surprised by the book when they reach about twenty pages after I stopped reading. They seemed to like it in the end.

Perhaps if I had read the first book, I would have already been accustomed to the writing style and better able to carry on.

Either way, happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment