Saturday, February 16, 2019

Blanca & Roja

Blanca & Roja by Anna-Marie McLemore

Big sighs folks. Big sighs. 

I'm just going to, here's the amazon summary, "The biggest lie of all is the story you think you already know.


The del Cisne girls have never just been sisters; they’re also rivals, Blanca as obedient and graceful as Roja is vicious and manipulative. They know that, because of a generations-old spell, their family is bound to a bevy of swans deep in the woods. They know that, one day, the swans will pull them into a dangerous game that will leave one of them a girl, and trap the other in the body of a swan.
But when two local boys become drawn into the game, the swans’ spell intertwines with the strange and unpredictable magic lacing the woods, and all four of their fates depend on facing truths that could either save or destroy them. Blanca & Roja is the captivating story of sisters, friendship, love, hatred, and the price we pay to protect our hearts." AMAZON LINK OF JUSTICE

This is kind of the retelling of snow white and red rose, but it's also a new twist on the story involving swans.

This seems like a great story right, something that should latch onto my attention and hold it, hold it tight. ...but I only made it halfway through the book. Kind of unrelated, but the story is told from four different narrators. I like to know that before getting into a book, so I like to give a heads up to other readers as well.

Alright, so Blanca and Roja are del Cisne girls; one of whom is destined to be taken away by the swans after they're both 15 years old. Blanca and Roja are best friends and their relationship goes deep. They do everything in their power to make themselves seem like the same person to confuse the swans. ...but eventually the swans come for them.

Two boys have gone missing, and have been taken in by the woods (they're the other two narrators). One of them has a very fascinating description about becoming different aspects or beings in the woods. They find their way to the del Cisne girls separately.

Alright, that's enough summary.

I think my biggest hold up with the book is the writing style. A lot of it was interesting ideas and concepts, but I started to really hate how the sisters were portrayed. It was a big thing for them to be like WE'RE SO CLOSE, to the swans showing up, and then it basically all going to hell. Secret plans, strong bonds, and it was a little bit of whip lash.  The boys also come with their own secrets, which is fine, but I hated everything being teased at, hinted at, and there was no reveal. I know, if I finished the book, I probably would have found out. I probably would have learned what happened with the swans too, but also, I don't like that kind of suspense. I don't like it when the author  doesn't even give us clues as to what the secret is besides that they don't want to reveal it. It's kind of like watching a character in a tv series just brood on screen for a while without knowing why. Eventually you just get bored and annoyed with it.

I did really want to like the book, especially since it's a more modern fairy tale with a twist usually found in older fairy tales. I just couldn't get through it, the attitudes of the different characters were too grating, and without any one character to really root for (though I was very partial to Roja), I still couldn't muster enough to get through it.

If you read it, let me know how it ends. I'm still curious about how it all wraps up...just not enough to stomach all the brooding.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment