Thursday, July 11, 2019

Thirteen Doorways, Wolves Behind Them All

Thirteen Doorways, Wolves Behind Them All by Laura Ruby

This book will be published on October 1, 2019. I read an advance reader's edition and there will undoubtedly be differences between the version I read and the published edition.

I picked this book up because I previously read YORK: THE SHADOW CIPHER and YORK: THE CLOCKWORK GHOST. But, this book isn't really anything like them. It's more about an untold story from the Great Depression and what World War II looked like for an orphan. For the women who had their own sorrows to bear. And also ghosts?

An amazon summary, "When Frankie’s mother died and her father left her and her siblings at an orphanage in Chicago, it was supposed to be only temporary—just long enough for him to get back on his feet and be able to provide for them once again. That’s why Frankie's not prepared for the day that he arrives for his weekend visit with a new woman on his arm and out-of-state train tickets in his pocket.

Now Frankie and her sister, Toni, are abandoned alongside so many other orphans—two young, unwanted women doing everything they can to survive.
And as the embers of the Great Depression are kindled into the fires of World War II, and the shadows of injustice, poverty, and death walk the streets in broad daylight, it will be up to Frankie to find something worth holding on to in the ruins of this shattered America—every minute of every day spent wondering if the life she's able to carve out will be enough.
I will admit I do not know the answer. But I will be watching, waiting to find out.
That’s what ghosts do." AMAZON LINK OF JUSTICE

Frankie has grown up in an orphanage run by nuns with her sister, Toni, and her brother, Vito. The nuns are not ruthless, but they're definitely not loving, and they have a strict sense of appropriate. the boys and girls are separated at the orphanage, and only get kind of glimpses of each other. There's a big yellow line that divides their outside spaces. They're kind of trapped in a rigorous routine, not fed very well, and they have a different kind of dress code (they wear a smock type thing in the communal shower to preserve their modesty).

On the other hand, there's a ghost that follows Frankie around as they find the orphanage somewhat routine. There's also babies at the orphanage that the ghost checks in on. There is an angel statue that she likes to speak to that tells her of what's going on around the world. The ghost notes that she is a different kind of ghost, as she's self aware and not trapped in a loop of reliving her death, or whatever torments the ghost soul

...that's enough summary.

So this book was hard for me. I feel like there was a lot going on in a larger sense that I completely missed out on. Like, I read all the words, and the letters, but I can't read between the lines? Regardless, I did finish the book as I was intrigued as to how the ghost aspect would play into Frankie's story. Even with reading the ending though, I'm still not sure I have a great answer.

I found Frankie's story fascinating though. Reading about life in the orphanage, what her norms were versus what the norms of the world were at the time, to watching her life just evolve.

I also found the ghost's story to be fascinating but for different reasons. The ghost was intent on figuring out her place in the world (kind of) but also, to figure out some aspects of the other ghosts she's encountered. It was also deep. Deep in the sense of heart rending and soul touching at some points. Mourning for a book character that continues to echo in my heart.

BUT. BUT. There were some aspects to the ending that I found dissatisfying? There seemed to be a grand show for a certain character that resolved with an answer.... but there was no answers to be seen for other characters. I'm not sure what the final lesson from the story is supposed to be as it seems to be a cautionary tale full of showing life, and kind of also that life goes on regardless of what happens? But then... what about the ghost and exposure to the ghost world...

Also, can someone explain the fox to me. That's what I really want. When this is published, and if the fox is still a thing, can someone come back and explain it to me. I want to understand, but feel like I missed the whole point. HALP. SOMEONE HALP.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment