Sunday, November 3, 2019

Angel Mage

Angel Mage by Garth Nix

Fellow book readers. I love books by Garth Nix, LOVE THEM. ...I could rattle off a bunch of them, but that doesn't matter.

...because I couldn't finish reading this book. I got to page 94 out of 534 but I couldn't read anymore. This book did not vibe with me. I'm putting it back into my to read pile to see if I can read it later in life.

An amazon summary, "More than a century has passed since Liliath crept into the empty sarcophagus of Saint Marguerite, fleeing the Fall of Ystara. But she emerges from her magical sleep still beautiful, looking no more than nineteen, and once again renews her single-minded quest to be united with her lover, Palleniel, the archangel of Ystara.
It's a seemingly impossible quest, but Liliath is one of the greatest practitioners of angelic magic to have ever lived, summoning angels and forcing them to do her bidding. Four young people hold her interest: Simeon, a studious doctor-in-training; Henri, a dedicated fortune hunter; Agnez, a glory-seeking musketeer; and Dorotea, icon-maker and scholar of angelic magic.
The four feel a strange kinship from the moment they meet but do not suspect their importance. And none of them know just how Liliath plans to use them, as mere pawns in her plan, no matter the cost to everyone else . . .
Fans of Cassandra Clare, Holly Black, and Leigh Bardugo will fall in love with Angel Mage, a feminist fantasy that takes place in an alternate European world ruled by fearsome magic and deadly passions." AMAZON LINK OF JUSTICE

Now seriously, after reading that summary you're probably like, how could you not read this book?

Let me explain.

The book started a bit slow but fast? There's a lot of build up into how the mechanics of the Angels work. They can be summoned through icons, they can basically perform miracles within their power, and there are those who have a certain blood type that turns them into monsters if they are exposed to angel magic. Anyone who uses lots of angel magic ages a lot faster than those around them and can die from overuse of the magic.

There's this lady. This lady is supposed to be one of the greatest mages of angel magic ever, but she's slept for 200 years or so, and has awoken to try to fulfill some sort of thing (I didn't get far enough to know what the thing was).

Some characters are slowly introduced, but I gave up. I gave up. I even literally gave up in the midst of another action type scene starting to unfold. I just got a little hackles up about not enough things making sense, not being grounded well enough in the world to continue the story. I also didn't understand what Earth I was on; alternate earth, past earth, future earth??? IDK.

Again, I freaking love Garth Nix novels and so I was extra sad when I couldn't finish this.

Happy reading. :/

No comments:

Post a Comment