Saturday, December 1, 2012

Lola and the Boy Next Door


Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

So there's a few crucial things that I need to get out of the way.
1) Lola and the Boy Next Door is the companion novel to Anna and the French Kiss
2) I do not think you have to read Anna and the French Kiss to get any part of Lola and the Boy Next door. However, I would recommend you read Anna and the French Kiss because it's a freaking splendid book.
3) If you read Anna and the French Kiss you get to see the story of Anna and St. Clair. IT'S AWESOME.
4) I was very excited to read Lola and the Boy Next Door due to the excellence of Anna and the French Kiss.

Alright, I think I was enough of a fan-girl there. Moving on.


So we meet Lola, who has an 'extremely' complicated cast of characters she interacts with but it all makes sense in the greatest way because damn it, Stephanie Perkins is amazing.

Some crucial things that we need to know about Lola.

Lola has a very loving family who is protective of her as she is seventeen and dating a twenty-two year old man by the name of Max. When I first realized this tidbit, I had all the narrowed eyes at Max. That is okay. Lola likes to dress a bit eccentrically which is COOL. She made a new year's resolution to never wear the same outfit twice and she seems to pull it off quite well. She doesn't just do the, "Red shirt with blue jeans? I'LL WEAR GREY PANTS. NEW OUTFIT." No, she is a strawberry one day and vintage dress the next. It's kind of awesome, and I'm a person who has relatively no interest in clothing/fashion other than to be sure I'm not naked.

Was that weird?

Whatever.

There's something wrong with Lola's love story. She has a mild panic attack every time a new neighbor moves in to the rental house next door and it's because of the Bell family.

OH MY GOODNESS THE BELL FAMILY. ...you can just read the book to figure out why I typed that. ENJOY.
HELLO. THE CALLIOPE PART IS THE
NON-ELEPHANT PART. WHEE.

Essentially, Lola had her heart broken by Cricket Bell as she believed they built this slow, meaningful love between the two of them when they were about fifteen. Cricket was forced to move away due to his twin sister Calliope as she is a hard core ice skater that is training to hopefully be a part of the Olympic USA team. Whenever I read 'Calliope' I immediately got the worst mutt mixture of circus music in my head. Ugh. Anyways.

So Cricket Bell turns out to be this charming oddity and Lola is all HOLY CRAP WHY IS HE BACK NOOOOO at him, BUT NOT REALLY BECAUSE SHE LURVESSSSSSSSS MAX. Did I fail to mention that this was a love story? It is. It's adorable too.

I have to cut myself off because I'm just being silly and images are fun to stick in here now that I've figured out how. BWAHAHAHAHA.

So all in all, Lola and the Boy Next Door was fantastically insightful for a bit of a peculiar girl that goes through a quest for love. I would highly recommend to read it.



I guess I'm not done yet. This is the book cover of Anna and the French Kiss which I believe is Stephanie Perkins first novel but I'm entirely unsure. I try not to write book reviews of books I've already read and loved unless I reread them to talk about it effectively.








On a side note; on November 19th I stated that I will be posting a new book review every day from December 1st to December 7th. Seven book reviews in seven days. I hope to 'make good' on this promise so here goes! :)

Now I can say HAPPY READING again! YAY!!!!! :)

It's the little things.




ALSO, holy crap I do not own any of the images used in this blog, I just google searched them and put them in here willy nilly. I should probably figure out a proper disclaimer at some point... uh...

3 comments:

  1. YOU CHANGED THE COLORING AND NOW I CAN BARELY READ IT. AND THANKS TO THIS, WHAT IS PROBABLY YOUR FIRST COMMENT IS A NEGATIVE ONE. BLARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH.

    This is Drew. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So......erm.......what I thought was a color change that you made was actually my computer being all lag-fail-gasm-tastic. So.....YOUR FIRST COMMENT EVER SPARKED A HATE FEUD ARGUMENT OF DIFFERING OPINIONS!!!!!!! AND ENDS POSITIVELY!!!!!!!!!!

      Also, I didn't know it would make me sign into Google to comment. I almost deleted it because I wanted to be anonymous like Clark. Booooo.

      Delete
    2. Next time before you comment, make sure your computer isn't derpy. :) <3

      Delete