Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Best Books of 2019

It's the last day of 2019, we made it! The new decade is upon us. WHOA. ...and also kind of eh. Really, you can reflect on the last ten years at any point to recount a decade, but okay cool.

Anyways.

Below is a list of my top ten favorite books from 2019. They're not in any particular order, and they will only be ones that I read/reviewed in 2019. So even if they were published in a different year, but I read it this year, it counts. :D I'm also only numbering them to make sure I stop myself at ten... because I like books. BOOK LIFE!

Rather than recap the entire book summary, I'm going to include the book title, author, location for my book review, and why it made the list.

Pardon any formatting weirdness. Posts with multiple images tend to get cranky for no apparent reason. Kind of like a Word document. Writer struggles, very real.


 1. Darius the Great Is Not Okay by Adib Khorram

My book review is HERE.

Why did this book make the list?

For me, there's a lot that still resonates about this story for me. I loved reading about a different culture in what feels like such an authentic voice. I loved reading about their friendship, of the unyielding acceptance of who Darius is, Sohrab's willingness to teach Darius about Iran, and Darius himself who has such an honest way of understanding what he doesn't know. How he understands how other people view the depression that he and his Dad experience, but what it means to them, and how they cope with it. It was such a great blend of culture introduction and also mental health awareness. This is a magnificent tale.




2. Sorcery of Thorns by Margaret Rogerson

My book review is HERE.

Why did this book make the list?

World Building. So much of the world was centered around magic, books (grimoires), libraries, and well, power struggles, politics, friendships, doing what is right, and I guess kind of love? I mean, the book packs a lot into it in such a seamless way that I've probably read this book... half a dozen times? It's become one of my refresher books, a book to read all of or parts of to kind of wash out a bad book experience. I loved Elisabeth as a main character, she was fierce, courageous, and looking to solve problems. Nathaniel was also pretty okay too, he had some great character development aspects, but c'mon, Elisabeth was GREAT. I also really love the tone of this book. I simultaneously do and don't hope there's a sequel. The book ended well, but I would love to read more of the story. BOOK STRUGGLES.


 3. Small Town Hearts by Lillie Vale

My book review is HERE.

Why did this book make the list?

Because I have something to say about a really good beach book. A good beach book is something that is mostly light hearted, with minimal dramatics, has a touch of soul throughout, and leaves you feeling all warm and fuzzy, whiles also restoring some faith in humanity. I think this book really knocked it out of the park, and while I did struggle with some of the more unrealistic elements of the book, I loved the overall setting, the characters, and the sense of community. It makes me want to visit Maine, again (I've been to the Bar Harbor area a couple times). I also really appreciated the romance that built between Levi and Babe since they weren't just pursuing a fling, a crush, or a one night stand, they were both looking for something more and found it. The book gave it the time and tenderness that deserves.



 4. Slay by Brittney Morris

My book review is HERE.

Why did this book make the list?

UGH, BE STILL MY HEART, I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH. This is a book that I just want to carry around, huddled to my chest, and blather on about how people should just sit down and read it. Probably the number one book I've recommended to people since I've read it (well, depending on what they're interested in reading of course, but if it's anything I can remotely relate to Slay, oh you better believe I'm going to talk about it). The combination of black culture/history/experiences, paired with video games in a high school setting, makes it a much more digestible read even though it's hard. It's hard to know that white people are... well kind of dumb even when they mean well. This was a real eye opening experience as to what people experience on a daily basis, and I can only imagine to a worse degree. Heart breaking, but a necessary story to read.



 6. Fire & Heist by Sarah Beth Durst

My book review is HERE.

Why did this book make the list?

Partly because I feel like I don't give enough credit or praise when I come across a legitimately GOOD dragon book. A dragon book that takes all the lore of dragons, looks at it in a different manner, and explains it in a way that doesn't assume the reader just knows everything there is to know because you know, it's about dragons and everyone knows about dragons. I mean, I do unabashedly love it for many reasons, but one of the main things that sticks with me, is how it's a coming of age story that unfolds with such grace and kind of humility. Taking a very factual stance on Sky's predicament while also catering to the magical aspects of it, the home world, and just kind of how much dragons have had to overcome to exist with the humans. It was just a very good, and well rounded story. Here's hoping for a book 2!



 7. The Gilded Wolves by Roshani Chokshi

My book review is HERE.

Why did this book make the list?

Somehow, they had a cast of five narrators telling the story from very unique perspectives while managing to not lose any critical parts of the story. Making sure the reader is included every step of the way, but also leaving an air of mystery about enough elements that it never grows dull by any length of the imagination. It kind of felt like a magical heist book but with better characters, action scenes, and world building than I've ever encountered before. The story did start at kind of a low simmer, but it weaved such an intricate story that I couldn't put the book down for a moment. Also one I've reread a couple times. I also have it sitting prominently on my bookshelf as it makes me smile a lot. I'm really hoping it becomes a series.




8. Song of the Abyss by Makiia Lucier

My book review is HERE.

Why did this book make the list?

I know I'm probably sounding like a broken record at this point, but the world building. It is a second book of sorts, maybe more of a companion novel to another book, but I think you could easily pick up this book without having to have read the first one. That being said, the first one is also a superb book, but I liked this one better since it dealt more with the mechanisms of Cartography and how the Cartographers career works within this world. There was also a greater introduction of more magical elements and creatures that exist within the world. The main character, Reyna, was also a shining example of overcoming barriers to accomplish dreams while possessing a great sense of self, determination, cleverness, and strength. What a knockout of a book.



 9. Small Spaces by Katherine Arden

My book review is HERE.

Why did this book make the list?

I mean, I don't read scary stories usually, but this scary story was compelling enough to make it onto my best books of the year list. I think that says enough in itself. But really the thing that lingers with me most about this book is the imagery. Not the world building per say, but just the small moments of the scare crows reaching under the trees to try to get the kids, or when they're hiding in the house and they have to escape. The way the book was written almost had a mesmerizing lyrical value to it at times, and that was what stuck with me the most. I could still very easily give a book talk on this without having to review the inside flap, it stuck with me much that; almost a year after reading it. I also admire how the book seemed to take something normal and harmless... but turn it creepy. Like shivers down the spine not murder-y creepy. Like scarecrows, corn fields, and school trips to the local farm.




10. The Queen's Rising by Rebecca Ross

My book review is HERE.

Why did this book make the list?

You may have noticed at this point that most of the books I've picked out have amazing world building, strong female characters, and a plot I adore. This is the first book in hopefully a series, but I read the second book and loved it, and I'm looking forward to book three. I also struggle with books set in a more medieval, alternate earth setting due to the internal confusion of what social norms were carried over. However, due to the clear language, presentation, character development, and emotional investment this book garners that I just want to read book 3. I did get a bit spooked when book 2 split into two narrators, but it turned okay, so I'm okay with it, but still retain a healthy amount of skepticism for other books' shenanigans.



Honorable mentions: THE TOLL and THE QUEEN OF NOTHING. They didn't make this list because they're book three in a series and it just feels weird to me to call out a book three. I loved them both dearly, but, if you weren't invested in book 1 and 2, it's kind of too late for book three then.

Happy reading! I hope more wonderful books cross your path and mine this coming year.

No comments:

Post a Comment