Monday, February 4, 2013

Pork and Mushrooms

So I love the dish in most Chinese restaurants that is called "Pork and Mushrooms". I am a little mad that there doesn't seem to be any concrete recipe out there that I can find to make such a dish, so I took it upon myself to try to make it. THIS IS AN EXPERIMENTAL DISH THAT I HAVEN'T MASTERED MAKING YET. THERE. DISCLAIMER.

It was good, it wasn't quite the same, but I still enjoyed it.

So here's what I did.

Ingredients:
-2 lbs Boneless pork chops
-16 ounces of fresh mushrooms
-2 little bundles of green onions
-10 ounces of plum duck sauce
-1 tablespoon of olive oil - I'm only putting this on here because that's what I would use to cook with if I didn't have a super duper non-stick pan of justice. If you have an AMAZING non-stick pan of justice, then omit olive oil.

It's pretty basic. BUT I MADE IT MORE INTERESTING WITH PICTURES. WHEEE.

Ingredients! ASSEMBLE! There's actually twenty ounces of plum duck sauce here, but I only used 10 ounces. I just like to be cautious and get two.

This is what I meant by two little bundles, I don't know EXACTLY how much this is, but this is the idea.

So I started by cutting up my green onions like so; omitting the base where it's white/light green in color.

Then I took the cap off of the stems of the mushrooms. I personally don't really like the stems, so I just tossed them out. I also broke the mushroom heads in half. If you have an unsavory looking mushroom head, just toss it out.

How the pork chop started (left), after the fat was trimmed (middle), and after it was cut up into bite sized pieces.

I put the cut up pork and cut up green onions in the pan to cook.

A blurry picture of it cooking. I cooked it on medium-low heat to ensure that the pork was cooked.

Mmmm...cook that pork.

So my pork cooked. I added the mushrooms and 10 ounces of plum duck sauce at the same time.

I covered it to cook it, stirring occasionally for about ten minutes. I kept it on a scale of 1-8, between 2 & 3. I checked it and it got kind of stupid watery looking. I freaked out a little and threw some salt in. Probably a quarter of a teaspoon's worth.

It was still pretty watery when I finished, so my advice if you don't want it watery, cook the pork and drain it before adding the mushrooms and sauce. Pork tends to be a watery meat. My end dish looked a little like soup, and for some reason that picture did NOT upload. *grumpy noises*.

I solved my soup problem just by using a strained spatula to get it into my bowl. It was pretty delicious. I added a little extra plum duck sauce to my strained bowl for a little extra flavor. Because I'm cool like that.


My end results from this experimental dish is that cook the pork longer next time, drain any water after pork is cooked before adding mushrooms and sauce, and then maybe sauce it a little extra at the end.

Cooking isn't an exact science to me. I like to dabble to see what makes it taste better (or sometimes horribly taste worse), and then go from there. LIFE EXPERIENCE. WHOO.

Try this recipe and made it differently? Let me know in a comment! COMMENTS ARE COOL. Eh? Eh?
OR. If you know the REAL recipe on how to make the chinese food dish commonly referred to as "Pork and Mushrooms", PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I will try to make it and post my results here.
...

Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment