Wednesday, July 23, 2014

75 Years of Batman


Today is the 75th anniversary of Batman.

When I was young, I was introduced to Batman by a treasure trove of comic books that my parents had collected and saved from their childhood. Comics books were my venue that threw me into the book world.

I watched Batman: The Animated Series on TV and collected it on DVD as soon as I was old enough.

I watched Justice League and Justice League Unlimited on TV and collected it on DVD as soon as possible.

As much as I love books, my love of Batman is probably greater.

Over the years, I'm continually inspired by the different portrayals of Batman.

One of my favorite depictions of Batman is from a Justice League Unlimited episode titled "Epilogue". It was about the origins of Terry McGinnis (Batman in Batman Beyond). Terry found out about Amanda Waller having a hand in his inception. But that's not the part of the episode that really tugs on my heart strings.

Amanda Waller recounted a time when a villain, Ace, was dying. Ace's telepathic abilities could wipe out the city, but Batman went in alone to her fortress. He found her on a swing set, sat on a swing, and comforted her as she died. No one could have saved Ace, but Batman did what he could. He showed compassion and stuck by his refusal to take a life.

Over the years, I've continued to follow the different depictions of Batman. I've read as many comic books as I can get my hands on (the No Man's Land series being a favorite as well as Hush). 

To you, dear blog reader, if you haven't had the chance to see anything about Batman, I encourage you to look at something in the mountain of his media legacy.

Happy Batman Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment