Saturday, October 4, 2014

Mortal Heart

Mortal Heart by Robin LaFevers

I read the first book, Grave MercyHERE.
I read the second book, Dark TriumphHERE.

Disclaimer one: (I'm too lazy to change this now that I've finally gotten to the third book blog post.) At the ALA conference, I managed to snag an advance reading copy of Mortal Heart, the third one in this series. At the time I didn't know it was the third one. When I got home and started receiving/sorting through all my books. I was compelled to get the first two in the series. I have no regrets.

Disclaimer two: This will undoubtedly contain spoilers for the first two books, Grave Mercy & Dark Triumph. If you don't want anything spoiled and plan on reading this series, I strongly recommended skipping this review.

Disclaimer three: This book will not be released until November 4, 2014. I read the advanced reader's copy that I received from the ALA conference; undoubtedly there will be minor differences between the copy I read and the published version.

SO MANY DISCLAIMERS. MOVING ON.

An amazon summary, "In the powerful conclusion to Robin LaFever's New York Timesbestselling His Fair Assassins trilogy, Annith has watched her gifted sisters at the convent come and go, carrying out their dark dealings in the name of St. Mortain, patiently awaiting her own turn to serve Death. But her worst fears are realized when she discovers she is being groomed by the abbess as a Seeress, to be forever sequestered in the rock and stone womb of the convent. Feeling sorely betrayed, Annith decides to strike out on her own.
 She has spent her whole life training to be an assassin. Just because the convent has changed its mind, doesn’t mean she has." AMAZON LINK OF JUSTICE

So Ismae and Sybella went to the convent when they were in their early teens, while Annith has been there her entire life. Annith was raised at the convent by the sisters and a previous abbess (head nun) who was a terrible person and abused her frequently in the guise of lessons.

So Annith is chocked full of concentrated tragedy that the sisters of the convent kind of knew about.

Annith is also being trained to be the seer for the convent at the insistence of the absess which horrifies Annith as she'll be trapped in the convent which she is desperately trying to escape.

Annith hears about Ismae & Sybella's adventures, a younger assassin who is barely trained is sent off on a mission before Annith, Annith has a questioning of faith moment, and ultimately decides to leave the convent.

Annith meets up with Death's hellequins; their leader, Baltazaar, takes her in and protects her from the rest of the hellequins. The hellequins are people who, in their first moments of death, try to atone for their sin-filled lives they lived. Annith rides with the helleguins in fear that the convent or death himself has sent them after her. Kind of it's better to know where the enemy is than to be panicked & scared about it all the time. Annith tries to make her way towards the city in aid of the duchess, but is delayed by the hellequin taking their sweet time to get there.

I'm just going to stop there.

There was so much of this book that I morally grappled with in the 'ANNITH, WHY ARE YOU BEING SO DUMB, THIS DOESN'T EVEN MAKE SENSE' way that while I was reading the book, I threw it across the room quite a few times.

But I still finished it.

In retrospect, I'm not entirely sure why, but it's to the point where I hate writing this blog post, I didn't post it for SO LONG because I didn't know what to say, and I'd rather just move on with my book life so I can post about other books instead.

In summary, this book can suck it. I don't want to talk about it or deal with it anymore. Just a lot of NOOOO being yelled in it's general direction.

That is all.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment