Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Blue Lily, Lily Blue

Blue Lily, Lily Blue by Maggie Stiefvater

Despite the giant lettering of the author's name on the cover, this isn't a romantic novel. Hehehe.

That being said, this is the third book in the Raven Cycle series.
I reviewed the first book, The Raven Boys, HERE.
I reviewed the second book, The Dream Thieves, HERE.

This is the third book in the series; undoubtedly this review will contain spoilers about the first two books. If you would like those to remain unspoiled, then do not read this review. You have been warned.

Also, if you've read the previous posts or are familiar with the books, I'm severely annoyed with myself. I never wondered before, "Why does Glendower want to be awakened after sleeping for so long?" I don't know if that'll play into plot at all...but I hope it does.

An amazon summary because damn I'm getting long winded, "Blue Sargent has found things. For the first time in her life, she has friends she can trust, a group to which she can belong. The Raven Boys have taken her in as one of their own. Their problems have become hers, and her problems have become theirs.
 The trick with found things, though, is how easily they can be lost. Friends can betray. Mothers can disappear. Visions can mislead. Certainties can unravel. In a starred review, THE BULLETIN called THE DREAM THIEVES, the previous book in The Raven Cycle, "a complex web of magical intrigue and heart-stopping action." Now, with BLUE LILY, LILY BLUE, the web becomes even more complex, snaring readers at every turn." AMAZON LINK OF JUSTICE

...so...my previous reviews of these books are kind of long winded and crazy. I love them dearly, but this one is going to be a lot shorter because dear book adventurists, WE'RE GETTING ANSWERS!!! ...and avoiding spoilers. Avoiding so many spoilers.

Blue's mother goes off in search of Glendower and is essentially absent for the book. Just to get that out of the way because some characters get a bit mixed up about it.

The boys are finding some answers at long last; the professor Gansey has kept contact with has come stateside to help them find the ley line.

This book is filled with so much of just discovering truths about the ley line, resolving personal issues (such as Adam getting crap done about his Dad), and finding out more about the sleeper who shouldn't be woken.

The Gray Man also has a tangle with Mr. Greenmantle; his employer who personally comes to see what's going on with Glendower and the ley line in general.

There's more back story happening, but as the story is so complicated at this point, I just want to sit on my heels and wait for book four. I suspect that everything is going to be wrapped up super spectacularly and book three definitely made up for so much GARBAGE that was thrown around in books 1 & 2 that I'm overwhelmingly excited for book four to happen. LIKE WHOA.

GUYS, LIKE WHOA.

Super spoiler alert....Neeve is back. WIKKITY-WHAT!

This is definitely book that you're just going to have to read to understand; there's no amount of overtly long freaking out that I could do to have any of it make sense at this point without regurgitating the entire thing at you.

I will say, I'm glad that some of my hunches are coming to light. I'm glad we're finding out more about the town and local superstitions, and how the characters are developing in ways that make sense (aka getting over their teenage angst).

Flipping fantastic....although very questionable if reading the confusion of the first two books is worth things beginning to resolve in the third book....especially because we only have a fraction of the answers....but presumably book four will wrap everything up?

Time will tell.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment