Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Audrey, Wait!

Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway

Disclaimer: After reading, Also Known As by Robin Benway (that review can be found HERE), I sought out another book by her and this is what I found.

Without further ado, an amazon summary, "When funny, charming, absolutely-normal Audrey Cuttler dumps her boyfriend Evan, he writes a song about her that becomes a number-one hit?and rockets Audrey to stardom!
Suddenly, tabloid paparazzi are on her tail and Audrey can barely hang with her friends at concerts or the movies without getting mobbed?let alone score a date with James, her adorable coworker at the Scooper Dooper. Her life will never be the same?at least, not until Audrey confronts Evan live on MTV and lets the world know exactly who she is!" AMAZON LINK OF BROKEN TEXT

I literally copy and pasted that from Amazon. All the derpy random question marks are actually on the site. Amazon, you need some help sometimes.

Anyways.

Muddling through the summary, Audrey is a hilarious girl who is really into music and ends up dumping her 'rocker' boyfriend Evan at the beginning of the book. (She's got reasons and they're not silly.) His band goes on to perform later that night (which Audrey attends because music) and reveals he wrote a song about her. The song kind of tears her to shreds a little but it's a killer song and she hopes that people will soon forget and that it will be swept under the rug.

It goes a way for a little while...before it returns in full force and throws Audrey's life into a very unwanted media circus chaos.

First off, I loved this book. This gets a recommended book label because it had me laughing the whole way through. I loved Audrey, I adored Victoria, Jonah was the perfect guy, Evan was well depicted, and James was just too cute! There was a lot of funny, angst-filled narration from Audrey and how ridiculous she can be.

I feel like I relate a lot to Audrey because I get over the top ridiculous in my shenanigans frequently and am also rewarded with usually grins and laughter.

I thought a lot of the characters stayed resolutely the same and reacted to the ever changing environment of the book. It was fascinating to see the way in which the media slowly infiltrated her life and then was suddenly everywhere, trying to capture any moment of Audrey's life as they could. Paparazzi? You better believe it. Classmates selling out information about you? Yup, even if it's false.

But basically the book walks through the steps of suddenly unwanted stardom, the ups, the downs, and the what-the-heck-happened-to-my-life kind of moments.

There's also James and her adventures at the Scooper Dooper (her part time job at an ice cream parlor (think Dairy Queen)). They're woefully true to the situation but wonderful with her humor peppering the situation.

I was only slightly thrown by the school situation since it wasn't given a clear description of the high school, but then again it's school so maybe it isn't that different from everyone else's high school? I don't know. That was literally the only bit I had a slight issue with.

I laughed, I loved it, and I went on the emotional roller coaster ride with Audrey.

Totally worth it.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment