Sunday, August 25, 2013

Curtsies & Conspiracies

Curtsies & Conspiracies by Gail Carriger

I read the first book in the series, Etiquette & Espionage, HERE.

Disclaimer: This is an advanced reader's copy and the book will be released on November 5, 2013. Some of the material in my copy might not be exactly the same as the released copy. I imagine it will be pretty close though.

An amazon summary, "Does one need four fully grown foxgloves for decorating a dinner table for six guests? Or is it six foxgloves to kill four fully grown guests?

Sophronia's first year at Mademoiselle Geraldine's Finishing Academy for Young Ladies of Quality has certainly been rousing! For one thing, finishing school is training her to be a spy--won't Mumsy be surprised? Furthermore, Sophronia got mixed up in an intrigue over a stolen device and had a cheese pie thrown at her in a most horrid display of poor manners.


Now, as she sneaks around the dirigible school, eavesdropping on the teachers' quarters and making clandestine climbs to the ship's boiler room, she learns that there may be more to a field trip to London than is apparent at first. A conspiracy is afoot--one with dire implications for both supernaturals and humans. Sophronia must rely on her training to discover who is behind the dangerous plot-and survive the London Season with a full dance card.


In this sequel to New York Times bestselling Etiquette & Espionage, class is back in session with more petticoats and poison, tea trays and treason. Gail's distinctive voice, signature humor, and lush steampunk setting are sure to be the height of fashion this season." AMAZON LINK OF JUSTICE


Some quick math for my benefit because I absolutely adored this book and will be prone to ramble on and on. I need to figure out my cut off point. The ARC is 310 pages long, 30% of it would be page 93, which is the beginning of a new chapter. Perfect.

I kind of wish that I had waited until this entire series was released before I embarked on the wondrous adventure so I could plow through all of them in one go. They're just very delightful.

Alright, alright, the book.

Curtsies & Conspiracies seems to have picked up right where Etiquette & Espionage left off. Sophronia finds herself beginning to get into the thick of things right from the beginning and starts to get a better taste of the espionage portion of her training, what her future job could truly entail.

In the very beginning, Sophronia is plucked from class by Lady Linette and administered her six month test. Her results are then delivered with the others that are at her level and it is discovered that she received the best marks. The girls sink into despise of her and do not speak with her if they can help it.

To make matters more interesting, ten boys from Bunson's (the evil genius school for boys) have joined them on board and Sophronia has already caught the eye of one.

Did I also mention that she managed to get a valve off of her test machine to show Vieve?

Did I mention that there is a delightful tension present between the supernaturals and the humans rather than the supernaturals versus each other? (Although I could see that changing in later books.)

You know, I don't really know if I can thoroughly talk about the book without giving away too many details since each page carries an important detail that carries through the rest of the book. It isn't overwhelming since the information is constantly being updated. I find it a rather straightforward read for a mystery style of book, because it's espionage and the narrator keeps up on the same tab as her.

Dimity is also almost kidnapped, Vieve is excited about the possibilities of what the valve Sophronia swiped can do, and the floating school is off to London for a test of sorts (it has a really neat cloud cover).

There's also the returning of all the previous characters from last book (such as Bumbersnoot, Soap, Sidheag, and well just everyone, even Pillover) and they still maintain their charm while continuing to grow. I kind of absolutely adore it.

I do love how much attention is given to the manners and what is 'proper' for the men and ladies to both do in the situations that happen. I enjoy that each situation has the presence of the details of what is happening coupled with what each detail means. It makes for a most interesting read.

I really need to pick up the other books by this author, they're absolutely delightful.

How many times and how many ways can I say that I liked this book?

A lot. Too many.

I'll mercy you.

If you want another book like the first one, the second one definitely doesn't disappoint. It's the same fun, kind of light-hearted reading that has some serious dark undertones to it.

Sophronia is back, and she's keeping her wits about her.

I am quite sad that it's not available until November 5, 2013, but it will make for an excellent gift for the holiday season. Wonderful!

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment