Thursday, March 27, 2014

Odin's Ravens

Odin's Ravens by K.L. Armstrong & M.A. Marr

This is the second book in a series, if you do not want the first book spoiled, do not read this review.

I reviewed the first book in the series, Loki's WolvesHERE.

Disclaimer: I read the advanced reader's copy of this book, there might be minor differences between the version I read and the published version. This book will be published on May 13, 2014.

Without further ado, an amazon summary, "Seven kids, Thor's hammer, and a whole lot of Valkyries are the only things standing against the end of the world. 

When thirteen-year-old Matt Thorsen, a modern day descendant of the Norse god Thor, was chosen to represent Thor in an epic battle to prevent the apocalypse he thought he knew how things would play out. Gather the descendants standing in for gods like Loki and Odin, defeat a giant serpent, and save the world. No problem, right?


But the descendants' journey grinds to a halt when their friend and descendant Baldwin is poisoned and killed and Matt, Fen, and Laurie must travel to the Underworld in the hopes of saving him. But that's only their first stop on their journey to reunite the challengers, find Thor's hammer, and stop the apocalypse--a journey filled with enough tooth-and-nail battles and larger-than-life monsters to make Matt a legend in his own right.


Authors K.L. Armstrong and M.A. Marr return to Blackwell in the epic sequel to Loki's Wolves with more explosive action, adventure and larger-than-life Norse legends." AMAZON LINK OF JUSTICE


So....when I read the first book, I was not in the best reading mind to tackle it. With that in mind, I saw the second book and reeled from it for a bit. I had to mull it over before I decided, alright, let's do this.

I read the second book.

The amazon summary does a good job at describing the premise and what not, so I'm going to let that be a sufficient summary.

Some aspects about the last book I didn't like carried over; they still focus a lot on who they're a descendant of, what powers they're developing, and blah blah blah. The characters in some way, symbolic or real, becoming more like the gods they're supposed to be like.

Fine, that's cool, I get that. It's kind of the premise of the story. Aight. Whatevs. I can deal with that.

I didn't care for how the world was portrayed.

I didn't really care about the characters still.

I still didn't care about the sibling relationship.

....I just kind of read it, finished it, and had a huge shrug at it.

It wasn't atrocious, but it wasn't awesome either.

It feel in a weird limbo land of 'okay'.

....I probably won't be picking up the third one.

With the way the second book veered off into an ending that didn't make sense, I can't imagine how the third book is going to continue to develop the series, nor do I really want to spend the brain power to do so.

...however, I can easily see myself falling into the trap of, "Well, the first two weren't HORRIBLE, but....maybe I should try the third book" and stay in a vicious cycle of 'okay' reading.

...yup.

So.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment