Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Best Books of 2014

Today is the last day of 2014 as I know it.

The list generation of my favorite books of the year is here! The list isn't going to be in any particular order, and the books will be from ones I read this year. They're numbered simply for me to keep track of how many I'm including on this list (limit of 10 or else it gets cray cray). All of the images are left aligned because the alignment features in this interface are being terrible.

ONWARD TO BOOK ADVENTURE!

1. The Lost Sun & The Strange Maid by Tessa Gratton

My book reviews are here: THE LOST SUN, THE STRANGE MAID.

Why did these books make the list?

They straight up haunt my thoughts. I wonder too often about what happened to these characters and when the third books comes out (which is not determined yet as far as I know). I really love the intricacies woven throughout the stories about the settings, world, culture, while never straying from the narrator. It's amazing.

2. The Whispering Skull by Jonathan Stroud

My book review is HERE.

Why did this book make the list?

I LOVED this book! It was a perfect follow up from The Screaming Staircase and was arguably better than the first book. The prevalent humor and scares that almost deter me from reading it at night have a good tandem throughout the story. The characters are very memorable and funny and I'm ever so curious to see where they go next.

I am very anxious for the third book as the prior books hold so much promise.





3. The Family Romanov: Murder, Rebellion, & The Fall of Imperial Russia by Candace Fleming 

My book review is HERE.

Why did this book make the list?

This historical nonfiction is a fascinating book. It reads like a fiction book and is chocked full of details about the Russian royal family but also the citizens, other personnel in the government, and what was happening in the world climate (as to how it pertains to Russia). There was a lot of graphic details that helped illustrate the Romanovs and it seems to be a teaching tool in disguise. Truly an excellent read, especially because I've never had a particular knack for traditional historical texts.





4. Death Sworn by Leah Cypess 

My book review is HERE.

Why did this book make the list?

This story struck me as a bit non-traditional. In this world many are magically inclined, but lose their magic when they hit a certain age. There's also a cave system that houses a league of deadly assassins who need to be trained better in the art of magic, but the previous two trainers had died mysteriously. Enter Ileni who is losing her magical abilities but is intended to train the assassins. It's a rather brilliant to watch unfold, and another that I wonder when the second book will be released.





5. Constable & Toop by Gareth P. Jones

My book review is HERE.

Why did this book make the list?

I loved the different viewpoints of narrators that were followed around. Normally, I 'm super concerned that the narrators are going to die except for one because why else switch your narrators around? But it's a ghost story so I kind of expected it; it wasn't too throwing of a notion to not enjoy the book.

The humor was brilliant, I loved seeing the different haunts of the ghost and witnessing the inner workings of the ghost society. It was well thought out and made an eerily good observational point on humanity.




6. A Creature of Moonlight by Rebecca Hahn

My book review is HERE.

Why did this book make the list?

First, this book started off as a 'trap book' to me. There's a review by Kristin Cashore on the cover (an author I adore) and the review is positive so I was inclined to just get the book then and there. The book was incredible; Marni was a great narrator, the magic of the world was well portrayed, the setting came alive (in some cases, quite literally), and the political intrigue woven with the family ties made for a great story dynamic. I'm unsure if this is a standalone book or if there'll be a sequel; I would be content if it was a standalone, but I'd LOVE to see the second one.



7. Waistcoats & Weaponry by Gail Carriger

My book review is HERE.

Why did this book make the list?

Because I love this series. I love it. I have no shame.

The humor, action, social commentary, and customs woven throughout the story keeps me coming back. I'm stupidly excited for the fourth book. When the last page of this book read 'The End' on it, I nearly had a heart attack. I immediately googled the hell out of the series to make sure there was a fourth book since there is SUCH A CLIFF HANGER at the end of this one.

No shame. All the love. <3



8. The Here and Now by Ann Brashares

My book review is HERE (and now, hehehehe).

Why did this book make the list?

The dynamics of science fiction elements playing against 'normal' fiction elements was a great read. There is the normal concerns of time travel, the technology, etc but it's played very well against the elements of their culture that makes them like a cult. It was interesting to watch their society and why they established the rules they did. Plus understanding time travel and the romantic tension between the two main characters was fantastic.




9. The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black

My book review is HERE.

Why did this book make the list?

Because it's by Holly Black (har har).

But really, I love fairy tales as much as the next person and this had the tone of an old Grimm fairy tale to it. It was a 'lovely' read through adolescent misadventures and how the setting seemed to become its own character. There was always an air of mystery about the story even as more details came to light. There was a sense of wonder about it. There was never a dull moment in the story and the characters were well written with interesting character growth to them. Fantastic.




10. The Boundless by Kenneth Oppel

My book review is HERE.

Why did this book make the list?

If you haven't noticed, I tend to like fantasy books. This book played into the narrow realm of fantastical realism while also incorporating trains, circus, mythical animals, and looters (of a sort). I really enjoyed the character development of Will and enjoyed the entire 'feel' of the book. It was a wonderful mix of adventure and curiosity with danger lurking behind every page. Again, fantastic.

Plus Sasquatches, come onnnnnn.




Happy reading, and may the new year bring many more awesome books!

No comments:

Post a Comment