Sunday, May 19, 2013

Froi of the Exiles

Froi of the Exiles by Melina Marchetta

AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! AH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Excited screaming noises!)

This is the second book in a trilogy (I think it's a trilogy even though it's the second book in the Lumatere Chronicles) and I've read the first one too! You can find that blog post here: FINNIKIN OF THE ROCK.

An amazon summary before I become a more spastic mess: "From master storyteller Melina Marchetta comes an exhilarating new fantasy springing from her celebrated epic, Finnikin of the Rock.

Three years after the curse on Lumatere was lifted, Froi has found his home . . . or so he believes. Fiercely loyal to the Queen and Finnikin, Froi has been taken roughly and lovingly in hand by the Guard sworn to protect the royal family, and has learned to control his quick temper with a warrior's discipline. But when he is sent on a secretive mission to the kingdom of Charyn, nothing could have prepared him for what he finds in its surreal royal court. Soon he must unravel both the dark bonds of kinship and the mysteries of a half-mad princess in this barren and mysterious place. It is in Charyn that he will discover there is a song sleeping in his blood . . . and though Froi would rather not, the time has come to listen." AMAZON LINK OF JUSTICE


I AM SO PUMPED TO READ THE THIRD BOOK. SO EXCITED.

For the record, this book is about 600 pages long, and I expect the next book to be equal in length. So it might be a little between posts. Even I get slowed down by longer books. But I should finish it by next weekend at the latest. Barring any event out of my control of course. (Let's just hope that doesn't happen.)

To begin talking about this book, I'm going to have to dole out spoilers for the previous book because there's no way that this book would make sense. So let me do a brief recap.

SPOILER LAND FOR Finnikin of the Rock!!!!

So at the end of the last book, the curse was lifted by Finnikin and Isaboe, the kingdom was slowly starting to be restored to it's former glory, and Finnikin became the consort to the Queen, Isaboe. The Lumatere's were still a crippled kingdom, but they were fighting to be restored to their former glory. They were beginning to find a way to recover their kingdom and to begin to get through the strife that both the exiles and those trapped in Lumatere faced.

At the beginning of Froi of the Exiles, it has been three years since the end of Finnikin of the Rock. Events play out where Froi is able to infiltrate Charyn (the neighboring country that had a man sweep into Lumatere and kill the royal family save for Isaboe) to assassinate the king. However, they learn that the country of Charyn has been unable to produce children for the past 18 years because of their own curse.

Much of the story is spent learning about Charyn's own intimate history of the people, the royals and how it all pulls together to start painting a picture of who Froi might be.

There are so many different twists and plot turns in this book that I did have to put it down and walk away from it sometimes just so I could simply digest and understand everything that I had just read.

I kind of don't want to talk about it too much because there are the same characters from the previous book to love, but even more characters in the new book to love AND hate. Oh man, there were a handful of people that I simply LOVED to HATE. Very wretched folks.

I really enjoyed getting to learn about who Froi had become and who he was striving to be. I am very eager to read the next book.

In my post about the third book, I might indulge and give a break down of what I thought of the entire series, but for now, this will have to suffice.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment