Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Day 14

I broke 25,000 words last night. YAY!!!!!!

I'm probably going to go do some grocery shopping or something so I can get delicious soup. Mmmm...soup.

So today I would like to take a moment to talk about Graphic Novels.

If you've ever met me in real life, you probably know I love Batman. I want to clarify that for everyone who doesn't know me; I'm not a fanatic. I own a lot of Batman movies, Batman The Animated Series, and Batman Beyond (as well as Justice League), I have a few posters that are in storage currently, but I definitely love things outside of Batman. I do have an eerie knowledge of the Batman universe, but I can hold a conversation without talking about Batman. Actually, Batman hardly comes up anymore. Meh.

Moving on.

I love, LOVE LOVE LOVE, the book series Fables by Bill Willingham. There are a lot of different artists involved so I'm going to go with the author. Here's an amazon link that will take you to the basics. I have the entire Fables series in my book collection and am planning on buying the next in the series as soon as it comes out.

Now Fables is a re-imagining of fairy tales and how they all interact with each other. Here's the amazon summary: "When a savage creature known only as the Adversary conquered the fabled lands of legends and fairy tales, all of the infamous inhabitants of folklore were forced into exile. Disguised among the "mundys," their name for normal citizens of modern-day New York, these magical characters created their own secret society that they call Fabletown. From their exclusive luxury apartment buildings on Manhattan's Upper West Side, these creatures of legend must fight for their survival in the new world." 

Hopefully that didn't screw up my formatting. Uh, whatever.

So basically, Fables live forever and they have different levels of immortality. The more legendary your fable, say Snow White, the more likely you are to recover from a mortal wound (such as being stabbed in the kidney or whatever). But if you are a lesser known fable, then you'll live until you get some serious wound. Now I really like the amazon summary since it gives a basis of what the series is about. But I would like to add that most of the characters from fables have changed; they're usually not happy, kind, caring, and glowing with warmth and good cheer. They've been re-imagined into more realistic people. There are also Fables that come up that I'd never encountered before so I would do research on them and it was fascinating. Anyways, the art of the graphic novels is superb and if you have any interest in fables, graphic novels, or good literature; read Fables. The series is ongoing and has a spin off series as well (Jack of Fables) and I'm a collector of it.

I will probably re-visit this series when I get my hands on the next book as it is too good to leave alone.

Now I'm off to get groceries and then to write.

Happy writing! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment